With so many feeder insects to choose from out there, you may be asking yourself, “why dubias?” Dubia roaches (Blaptica dubia) are a favorite feeder insect for keepers of leopard geckos, bearded dragons, and other reptiles because of their nutritional value, ease of keeping, and interactive appeal to insect-eating animals.
Let’s dive into details and explore why you should consider incorporating dubias into your reptile’s diet today!
Dubias—A Nutritional Powerhouse for Your Reptile
Our reptiles are members of our family, and they deserve the best care possible. Would you feed your family pizza or hot dogs every night? Not if you want them to be as healthy as they can be! Outstanding reptile care is all about giving our scaly companions the best foundation for a long and healthy life. And that starts with diet.
Dubia Roaches Vs. Crickets—Why Dubias Win
As you know, the primary nutrients we need to keep an eye on with reptiles like bearded dragons are protein, moisture, ash, Ca:P (or calcium to phosphorus ratio), and fiber. Because crickets are so easy to get a hold of, many of us resort to them as the primary food source for our reptiles. But there’s a better way!
Here’s why dubias are a better bet than crickets nutritionally:
- Dubias are higher in protein than crickets.
- Dubias have a higher concentration of calcium than crickets.
- Dubias have superior calcium to phosphorus ratio. Though supplementation will still be necessary with dubias, it will be much lower than with crickets.
The bottom line is this: crickets just aren’t as nutritious as dubia roaches. It’s totally okay sometimes to feed your reptile crickets, but you should also consider adding in some dubias for variety and nutritional impact.
Take a look at the nutritional breakdown of dubia roaches vs. crickets:
|Crickets Nutritional Value||18%||73%||6%||2%||2%||1:9|
|Dubia Roaches Nutritional Value||21%||65%||9%||5%||1%||1:3|
Dubias- Ideal for Gut Loading
Gut loading may sound like what we do every year on Thanksgiving, but it’s actually an incredibly important facet to keeping your dragon healthy. Gut loading is the practice of pumping your feeder insects with whichever nutrients you want your beardie to load up on.
Dubias are an ideal feeder insect for gut loading because their digestive system can hold a whopping 2X their body weight! Simply offer your dubias whichever vegetables are high in the nutrients your reptile needs, and dubias take care of the rest—easy!
Perfect for Picky Eaters
Another significant benefit of dubias is that most insect-eating reptiles LOVE them, making them an excellent choice for the picky eater. Why do bearded dragons prefer dubias? Because they are easier to digest than crickets, can be purchased in the perfect size for your pet, and are an interactive food source that is fun to chase down and devour.
6 Reasons Why Dubias are Easy to Keep
Reptile keepers love Dubia roaches because they not only pack a nutritional punch but are really easy to keep. Gone are the days of loud and smelly cricket colonies that drive you mad in the middle of the night.
Why are dubias such a pleasure to keep?
- No noise—these little guys are as quiet as can be.
- No parasites—if you have children or people who are immunocompromised in your home, cleanliness and safety are paramount. Dubias do not carry parasites, unlike common cockroaches, and will not soil your home.
- No bites—unlike other reptile food sources, dubias aren’t a food that bites back.
- Odor-free—who wants a house that smells like a pet shop? No one!
- No infestations—If one of your dubias escapes during a feeding, don’t worry. They usually perish before they can set up shop in the cracks and crevices of your home.
- They can’t jump or fly—if you lose a dubia during feeding, they are surprisingly easy to catch. This is because they don’t fly or jump! That means your beardie won’t miss out on one morsel of nutrition (and your home will stay bug-free).
Many savvy reptile keepers opt to keep their own dubia colonies to save money. Contrary to what you may read online, there’s a bit more to kick-starting a thriving colony than just throwing them in a bin and tossing in a few veggie scraps. But don’t worry, we’ll tell you exactly how to successfully care for and breed dubia roaches if that’s something you’re interested in trying.
Get Your Dubias Today
Dubia roaches are a turbocharged nutritional powerhouse that your reptiles will delight in eating! Try incorporating some into their diet today and enjoy watching them pursue the thrill of the hunt.